In preparation of the coming winter I have been fixing up my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have known about a leaky rear axle seal on my Ford 8.8 for a little while, which I figured was because someone overfilled it, and thought the problem would take care of it’s self.
To my dismay it didn’t and now I think I have a bent axle shaft in there, which lead me to purchasing a “Super Ford 8.8 Axle System” from 4wheelerssupply. The kit claims to make the axle 35% stronger than previously in stock form, but the strength isn’t why I purchased it. I purchased this kit for two reasons, One – I’m sick of the c-clips, and Two – I want to be positive both axle shafts are straight. The reason I’m sick of the c-clips is because every time I want to change a axle seal it costs me $60 in fluids for the differential and I have done this 3 times now.
Something to note is that the kit eliminates the problem that Ford 8.8’s have with side pulls putting to much stress on the c-clip and breaking the axle shaft.
The kit content is claimed to have
- Two USA-made 31 spline 4340 chrome moly axles. The axles feature a thicker flange and increased radius to the body for a real strength increase for those side hill moments. This design provides more strength than some aftermarket designs that only increase the thickness of the flange.
- Two heavy-duty machined axle retainers with spacer rings.
- Complete set of 3/4 ton Timken Roller Bearings™ and Seals.
- Two C-Clip eliminators
- Ten 1/2-20 threaded studs.
- Two axle badges to show your Superior pride.
My kit is missing the bearings because they were out of them claiming that I could pick them up locally and receive the parts sooner.
So look forward to a write-up of the install of my Super 8.8 Kit this week.