In with the new, and out with the old. I’m dumping my old shopping cart software in favor of the more popular WooCommerce. If you’re interested in why, well I have my reasons. I’m theme developer, and I don’t need some shopping cart software attempting to do what I can do better. I would rather the shopping cart software use as many of the well polished built in WordPress features, instead of reinventing the wheel. Some other odds and ends also bothered me too. However those details are rather boring to explain. I’d like to make things fun for you and me. Suppose you find an issues with the website or the shopping cart that I have missed, I’ll hand out a discount for purchase. Something along the lines $5.00 off for purchases below $100, and $10 off anything over $100. If you happened to find an issue, please comment down below, or use the contact me page.
I’ve been hard at work for the last few months or so on how to introduce a new direction with website menus. Touch screen devices are every where, even my laptop has it, and I want to develop a menu that didn’t leave behind the old mouse and keyboard. This has been difficult for me to figure out a solution that I felt like it really worked. This is why development on my themes has tapered off lately. Been stuck on, “How” to include both devices and make it look good. I saw other websites get close to what I wanted, but when I looked at the code it just didn’t feel right. That is… until I came upon Vogue’s website. Their code does everything I was looking for. However, I like to write my own code, the menu feels more natural on the right, and I also wanted to power it with pure CSS. Now I’m in the trial stages testing out the new code on my website. (I’m actually taking a break to type this post.) There are a few bugs, because I just right clicked and saved my home page to start my developing environment. The dirty syntax of menus produced by WordPress is proving to be one of my biggest problems, because of how clean I wrote the menu in the testing page. I’m also cleaning something things up between Chrome and IE 11, because the test code was strictly built in Firefox. I’m also working […]
I don’t normally like talking about WordPress issues on my blog, but it seems things are changing and hopefully this will help ease the transitions. If you don’t know, my themes have temporarily been removed from the WordPress Repository because they have been labeled crippleware. I disagree, especially since I don’t lock away any key features for WordPress, but regrettably it’s not up for discussion. I was given the impression by two very respected people within the community, Chip Bennett and Otto, that what I had written was no problem when they both looked over one of my themes a long time ago. It actually turns out that all they did was look at the specific part of code I was having trouble with and nothing else, which is how my themes stayed approved for so long. I’m just disappointed that I got this far without anyone noticing sooner, because I honestly struggle following all the regulations they have for themes. Especially when all I care about is the end product, and don’t care about the in-between steps as long as you get to the end properly. Those two finally found out about the code that is offending recently when I was trying to get my new theme Semper Fi approved. I’m quite bitter about the whole series of events that unfolded, disappoint in everyone’s decision making, including my own, and I got left with this mess. There is a silver lining in this cloud though. It’s perfectly fine for […]