About year ago in my dashboard a light bulb for controlling the vents went out on my H3 Hummer, making it difficult to see which setting I had the ventilation on. A few months later, I had two light bulbs that didn’t illuminate on my HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) Control Panel which began to make choosing the setting on the instrument panel difficult at night. I called up GM about getting it fixed but all they want to do is completely replace the GM Part No. 15840354 CONTROL, A/C Instrument Panel, or with the part ACDelco 15-73909 GM Original Equipment Heating and Air Conditioning Control Panel with Rear Window Defogger Switch. Expensive and very wasteful I found out how to get my hands on the light bulbs from a guy on eBay. Replacing the light bulbs only took about 15 minutes of my time.
Now I’m on the hunt to purchase a large quantity of them so that I can sell them to on my websites shop. The HVAC Instrument Panel Light Bulbs are for sale in my store for $20.00 for five of them.
Begin with putting your finger in the cigarette lighter socket and put up to release the dash. I know it sounds weird, but trust me it works amazingly. After which you’ll need to remove four bolts that hold the HVAC Control to the dash with a 7mm socket (or at least that is what I used).
I used a 7mm socket to remove the HVAC Control System from the dash panel.
I’ve now disconnected the wires so that the HVAC Cluster is detached from the dash panel so that it’s easier to work with.
Carefully I used a very small flat blade screwdriver to separate the back cover of the HVAC.
The back cover came off with very little effort by starting one end and slowly working my way to the other end.
With a simple switch of that small flat blade screwdriver, I was able to remove the H3’s HVAC light blub. The new light bulb is on the left, and the burnt out old on the right.
In this image, I’ve placed the three old light bulbs I’ve replaced on the right with a new one on the left. Might as well replace them all while I’m at it.
Within 15 minutes I was able to finish the whole project but had to wait few hours to get this photo of everything back together.